In 2003, the global consulting firm McKinsey & Company came out with a project “Vision Mumbai: Transforming Mumbai into a World-Class City.” The ‘Vision Mumbai’ plan came with the idea of redevelopment of slums, in which at least 60% of the area occupied by slums should be freed for commercial purposes. These plans led to the demolition of 90,000 slum hutments in 2004-05. Those families who proved themselves eligible under 1995 cut-of-dates were rehoused and other were left homeless. After that, this practice of demolition continued over the years leaving lakhs of people homeless. We are campaigning for preserving housing rights of Mumbai’s poor who have been affected by such demolition drives again and again. Currently we are running our movements in around 20 slum settlements of Mumbai.
- Republic Day Celebration at Children Learning Center February 5, 2019
- 300 families from Mahul get better housing in Gorai; Govt. Appointed committee yet to meet January 8, 2019
- ५५ दिवसांच्या संघर्षानंतर माहुलवासीयांची मुख्यमंत्र्यांशी भेट, घरे वाटपासाठी समिती गठीत December 23, 2018
- Mahul: CM constituted a committee just to buy more time, Time for decision not discussion December 22, 2018
- Allotment of houses by MHADA disapproves Govt stand in the Court December 20, 2018
We are looking for people to volunteer for our andolan and campaigns round the year. This could involve working on specific issues or campaigns. This could also mean contributing through your specific skill sets in your own time.
Know more about volunteering opportunities here.